Scrub On The Point

Other modellers may have found a simple, effective and relatively cheap way of adding thick scrub to a piece of their layouts but I’m not one of them. When I commenced building Morpeth (the portable section of my permanent layout) about 10 years ago I had a vision of a pier based on the one that stands at Coffs Harbour on the NSW north coast, the second station building that had the name Morpeth applied to it and a creek with really thick scrub and trees around it. I’ve lived in the bush (the thing we Australians call the “real” rural areas of our continent) for a good proportion of the past 33 years and I’ve got to admit that I’ve rarely (if ever) seen a creek populated with vegetation in the way I see it every day of my life as I simply drive around. I don’t know what people in cities see but I see creeks, well to be more accurate I don’t see creeks, because the trees and plants that surround them crowd in on them and block the view of the water. In fact in Australia you can tell where the water courses are by the presence of a wandering lines of gums. I wanted my creek to be scrubby in the way I know Australian creeks are scrubby. Today I finally finished the creek scene.

A couple of months ago I purchased a bag of trees from a Chinese firm on eBay. I could provide you with a link but just go onto eBay and search for model mulberry trees. You’ll find them for sale at around $8 for 5 and with free shipping. They look awful (they have glitter on the limbs for Heaven’s sake!) but they can be turned into something looking like a reasonable gum tree with a few snips, a bit of white and grey acrylic paint on the trunks and the application of some foliage mat. I use a Heiki product. I wanted to use these small (about 15cm high) trees to cheaply bulk up my creek’s foliage canopy.

I spent the first part of the week finishing off the small cabin I posted about last week. I made some brick steps for this model and started painting a white metal figure to stand on the small landing at the front of the building. I also started to review the scenery materials I had on hand and took to some cheap Ebay sourced plastic trees I’d purchased a few months ago with a set of flush cutters and paint. I wanted to use these to help me bulk up the scrub around the mouth of the creek on the real estate that surrounds the cabin.

In addition to deciding that the line at the entry to the pier would finally receive its final layer of scenery I also decided that the ship model needed to be secured to the “water” next to the pier. I wanted a way of bolting the wooden base of the ship to the scene to allow me to display the ship tied up to the pier but in a way that would also allow me to remove it as I worked on it. I settled on two small blocks of ply with t nuts driven into their upper side and with bolts coming up from below the water. The ply is glued in place because these small blocks will eventually be entombed inside the ships superstructure. The forward block of ply is under the deck of the fo’c’sle.

After fiddling around with securing the ship to the water I gathered my amazing collection of scenery storage boxes around me, mixed up a batch of PVA and water with the obligatory drop of washing liquid and made a start. I don’t have a technique for ground cover beyond painting the foam yellow, gluing on a thin layer of Woodland Scenics Earth Blend ground foam and then covering it all up with as much crap as I can throw at the area till I run out of time or scenery materials. That’s about as scientific as it gets. Lots and lots and lots of PVA used neat and then I just keep ripping up various mats and clumps and gluing till I’ve covered everything up.

The one feature I did want to capture on the area in front of the mill was some willows sitting near the water. They sat in front of the real Portus mill at Morpeth so I wanted the same look for my version. I purchased the two that now reside in that spot a couple of years ago and almost gave myself a heart attack when I looked at what I’d paid for them. I could have got 20 or 25 Mulberries for around the same price šŸ™‚

After temporarily positioning the 5 or 6 trees I was going to use in the area I pulled them out again and then set to gluing the thick mat of foliage I wanted to cover this part of the layout in place.

The plan is that Pioneer and an Ixion tank loco will come to share exclusive duties on the pier run. I haven’t yet chopped, changed and dirtied up the Ixion model but I’ll get to that eventually. This shot provides a good comparison with the photos I’ve posted in previous posts on the blog.

I’ll let the model do the talking for me with this one.

I have a great deal of admiration for modellers like Geoff Nott who who did (or do) a great job of capturing a forest setting deep in the woods with huge trees. While I don’t model a forest I still want my models to look as if they’re in a landscape that, while it may not sit under towering red woods, is no less densely populated by trees and foliage in various locations, invariably close to water. I’ve never seen a redwood but I’ve seen plenty of creeks in the Australian bush.

Advertisements

One thought on “Scrub On The Point

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s