It’s been a cool, wet couple of days and I’ve managed to get into the shed for a few hours and commence on some new benchwork. In a strange kind of way this feels like the first real “new” benchwork I’ve constructed since I started work on the layout because all the other new work has been in my head so clearly for so long that I already knew what it was going to look and operate like. This next stage is far newer in concept and as it will punch through a wall and head out into open space over a staircase it is far less straightforward. This is where we start to get serious 🙂
I made a new ladder frame, added some legs and butted this up to the pre-existing benchwork of QW. However before I could set the height of this section I had to do some fiendishly complicated calculations that took into consideration the wall studs, especially the noggins, that are in the wall I’ll be cutting through and also the height of some shelving that is inside the storage cupboard that the line will pass through on its way to Raworth and storage.
After installing the ladder frame I had a little time to start the narrow benchwork that will hang off the wall at this spot by screwing in a length of 3×1 to the first stepped section of wall.
Things are really starting to get interesting at this point. I really enjoy installing new benchwork. Things move fast and you can see the results relatively quickly.