Dry Land

I thought I’d make a quick post as I’m unlikely to be making another one for a couple of weeks due to holiday plans. I managed to get a series of jobs done on the layout that I wanted to have completed so that everything would be dry and ready the next time I can get back to work on it. After completing the painting of the river module I managed to get its adjoining module tidied and ready to have them mated up so that the scenery that crosses the join between the two could be started.

This shot shows the rough landforms set in place prior to the application of my ususal scenic treatment. You can see the newly installed mill in the background and the creek mouth as it opens out into the river.

This shot shows the rough landforms set in place prior to the application of my usual scenic treatment. You can see the newly installed mill in the background and the creek mouth as it opens out into the river.

I spent some time cutting up parts for the abutment that sits up against the edge of the last bit of track on dry land. I was originally going to drop this straight into the water but I thought a short piece of sloping transition between land and river would work better. Measuring these out was quite critical because any bumps and this would run up into the track that would eventually pass over this arrangement. One of the really critical dimensions was the need for the small shelf that will hold the beams of 12″X12″ timber on the abutment at exactly the same height as the sub road bed on the land. You can see where I’ve labelled this in the photo. I’ve also drawn circles around the small holes I drilled that mark where the first wooden pier will be positioned when these are made in a few weeks. I had the curve of the track and the position of the three piers that will hold the curved track base marked on the wooden surface prior to painting it black. Not wanting to lose these precise dimensions I drilled six small holes (two for each pier) where the piers will eventually be positioned.

You can see the track feeder wires sticking out of the sub road-bed because after the foam is glued in place there’ll be no easy way to access the underside of the track base. I’ll solder these to the rails later when the track is installed in a few weeks.

Happy New Year everyone. I’m off to Thailand 🙂

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s