Pony Truck

This coming weekend I plan to attend the Liverpool exhibition in Sydney where I’ll be working on the Aus7 Modellers Group stand on Saturday and the first half of Sunday. In a similar arrangement to last year I’ll have some tools and a project that I will try to work on and speak to passers-by about. There tends to be a lot more talking than modelling at these events but that’s what you go for. Of course I’ll be taking the 20 to be the subject of this all day “clinic”.

I’d like to have all the wheels on the 20 before I leave to drive the 900km to Sydney and today, with the successful delivery of the puppies behind us, I managed to put some work into the last stage of wheeling the locomotive, the leading pony truck.

This is the core of the two wheel pony truck. It has received a little bit of attention with a grinding wheel in a Dremel since this photo was taken to remove the feed sprue at the top of one of the leaf spring castings.

This is the core of the two-wheel pony truck. It has received a little bit of attention with a grinding wheel in a Dremel since this photo was taken to remove the feed sprue at the top of one of the leaf spring castings.

Before I could make this part I needed some brass tube in two different diameters and I picked this up a few days ago in Brisbane on a trip to a hobby shop and an outlet for extruded foam. Today I cut the side frames for the truck out of a couple of pieces of NS .7mm sheet and assembled the tube and some brass rectangular tube to use as the spacer.

This shot shows the truck with wheels installed.

This shot shows the truck with wheels installed.

After the parts were prepared I assembled them with some solder and a small amount of swearing. The axle-box and leaf spring castings were the last two of the six I’d ordered from Laurie Griffin in the UK and are exactly the same as those on the trailing bogie. The next step in the construction sequence will be to install two NS parts both sides of the spacer, one for the front which is a simple plate with a curved cut out and the rear one which has an extension on it that allows it to be bolted to the chassis.

This drawing by Keiran Ryan gives the general idea of what's coming up next.

This drawing by Keiran Ryan gives the general idea of what’s coming up next.

I’ll use some more .7mm NS sheet, cut to an appropriate width and shaped with a piercing saw to get the outline I need to replicate the frames you can see in the drawing. These will be soldered into position, provided with a bit of rivet detail and attached to the locomotive chassis with a small bolt. Easy peasy 🙂

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Pony Truck

    • Gene,
      Thanks for that. Since making that post I’ve completed making the pony truck and have it installed on the chassis. I’m currently fiddling about with the height of the bolt that holds it in place. If it’s too low or high the projections above the leaf spring castings make this very obvious as they don’t sit parallel with the rail head. Still having all the wheels on the thing is a bit of a milestone.
      Trevor

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s