Wheels

I decided that it was time to bite the bullet, after a lot of fiddling about, and install the wheels on my scratch-built chassis tonight. After checking the ride height of the loco and scribing a light line for the axle centre line on the side of one of the frames, I set up the chassis on the HH Master Chassis and got to work with a soldering iron.

It took a couple of hours to get this far but most of this was spent in checking that everything was in the correct locations before things were made permanent with a soldering iron.

It took a couple of hours to get this far but most of this was spent in checking that everything was in the correct locations before things were made permanent with a soldering iron.

As I’d done most of the preliminary work already to prepare the spacing of the jig components and get the wheels and hornguides prepared all that was needed was to make sure I didn’t solder everything up solid as I applied the iron and the work went remarkably smoothly.

One question I’d been asked earlier was about the spacing of the wheels and how I was going to handle the un-prototypically deep flanges on the Slaters wheels. If spaced at a prototypical distance the flanges on the wheels would touch which of course is a bit of a problem. I dealt with this by having the wheels re-profiled ever so slightly to reduce the depth of the flanges and thus allow the wheels to be spaced at a prototypical distance from each other.

In this shot you can see a bit more of the horn- guides and how they sit inside the chassis.

In this shot you can see a bit more of the horn-guides and how they sit inside the chassis.

I did the soldering as anticipated with my big 80 watt iron as the small temperature controlled one that sits on my workbench just wasn’t putting out the required heat. I spot soldered the tops of all six horn-guides into position and then removed all the parts that were that not being soldered leaving just the chassis with the six brass horn-guides. I  put the chassis on its side and carefully ran solder down the sides of each of the guides in turn. I did manage to let one of these shift while attempting this operation but it was just a matter of setting up the jig and running through the sequence again, this time making sure that everything didn’t get quite so hot and nothing moved.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s