Just a very quick post to show the progress of the chassis on the 20 class.
Today I sat for about 2 hours and plotted out the width of the spacers then cut and bent them. Tonight I made up a simple wooden soldering jig to help me solder the chassis to this stage. After all my calculations I decided to cut the spacers at a width of 26.25mm. This is a lot wider than I think I mentioned in my previous post. I do these sorts of calculations in a spiral bound booklet I keep for the purpose. I enter date and title info so I can refer back to it later and sometimes find out why I made a silly decision 🙂 I tend to do a drawing (very rough) and label this and then I start measuring materials and components to arrive at a figure I can transfer to the metal. I’ll take metal stock (in this case NS sheet in both .7mm and .55mm thicknesses) and mark these with a black Artline marker pen. I then scribe my lines into the black marking to enhance the contrast. I used my little shop metal guillotine to chop up the pieces. I actually cut off two blanks of 26.25mm wide material. The first came out at 26.39. As I knew I was making these frames almost as wide as possible in this gauge I made the decision to cut another blank. Interestingly I narrowed the scribed line I drew to 26.15mm, scribed the new line and cut the new blank in exactly the same way. It came out at almost exactly 26.25. You learn something every day 🙂
After cutting the frames and now soldering them together I’ve begun to realise just how long this loco is. The Z19 chassis (from which some of the 20’s were constructed) is stubby by comparison. I had a lot of fun today. I may not be turning out the world’s most accurate 20 class but I’m learning a lot and building on my meagre metal working skills. I’m also having a lot of fun! 🙂