Passenger StockPt II: The Body & Roof

While my last posting mainly dealt with the roof of the R car I’m currently building this one concerns the fitting of the roof. The photo that accompanies this text shows the carriage in its basic form: walls, ends and roof in place and sitting on the floor/undercarriage I was discussing in my last post.

Bogies – the bogies that come with this O-Aust kit are of the 2AA variety that were pretty standard on NSWR vehicles of this vintage and variety. The bogies come as a set of crisp, white-metal castings and are supplied with wheelsets. I found them relatively simple to assemble with low melt (Carrs) 70 deg solder. The wheels I used were from Slaters and it is wise to scrub the bogie after assembly with some cream kitchen cleanser and water straight away. Carrs red and green flux is extremely corrosive and will start rusting Slaters wheels almost immediately, so a slightly alkaline kitchen cleaner helps to neutralise the acid flux.

Sides and Ends – As with the floor I wrote about a few days ago, I milled some of these components to ensure that the edges that would be glued were square and straight. The sides are butt jointed into the ends and the corners need re-enforcement. I used some square strip styrene to re-enforce the corners on the inside and used slow setting, super strength super glue with some zip kicker to glue these pieces in place.

The Roof – The roof is supplied as two over long castings that are intended to be butt joined and glued together. To get a straight join I clamped each of the roof castings to the mill table and milled one end to square it up and ensure it was clean and parallel to the other half. When I glued the two halves together I re-enforced the joint underneath with some strips of styrene, glued with the same super glue used on the corner joints. Once glued I milled each end of the resulting roof till it was a slip fit between the end castings. I did some very light sanding of the roof to ensure it sat correctly when joined to the body and then carefully glued it in place.

The only warping I’ve discovered so far in the polyurethane castings has been in the ends. There is a noticeable bow from top to bottom. This would barely show if left as is but this model is to have corridor connectors and when these are in place you can see a gap under the edge of the castings. Filler is not really an option so I’m going to have to put some thought into how to disguise this.

The next step is to attach some brass angle inside the body to allow for the floor to be screwed into place and retained.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s